Recipe Category: Dip
Makes ABOUT 2 1/2 CUPS
- 1 1/2 pounds bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces, at room temperature
- 2 tsps. unsalted butter
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tsps. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup muscovado sugar (or use dark brown)
- 3 tbsps. maple syrup
- 3 tbsps. bourbon (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp finely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Line a large baking sheet with 2 layers of paper towels and set aside
- Add the bacon to a large skillet or use a 5 to 6 qt cast-iron Dutch oven and heat over low
- Cook the bacon, turning as needed, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is lightly browned all over, about 12-15 minutes
- Use tongs to transfer the bacon to the baking sheet to drain
- Allow to cool slightly
- Finely chop bacon (or transfer the bacon to a food processor and process until crumbled)
- Set aside
- Pour off all but about 1 tbsp of bacon fat from the pan.
- Discard the remaining fat or reserve for another use.
- Add the butter and heat until melted, about 1 minute.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until translucent, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer.
- Add 1/2 cup water, vinegar, muscovado sugar, maple syrup, bourbon (if using), allspice, thyme and black pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, for 2 minutes.
- Add the bacon and stir to combine
- Cook uncovered, stirring often, until the liquid is almost completely evaporated and the mixture is brown and has a jam-like consistency, about 13-15 minutes
- Remove from the heat and stir in the olive oil
- Allow the bacon mixture to cool slightly
- Spoon the mixture into a sealable container and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks
- Serve at room temperature or transfer to a pan and rewarm gently over low heat if desired prior to serving
Popular Dip Recipes
Full List of Dip Recipes
Popular Dutch-Oven Recipes
Full List of Dutch-Oven Recipes