Recipe Category: Barbecue
- 4 pounds pork baby back ribs (about 2 sides) or your favorite ribs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic — finely minced
- 3 finely minced serrano chiles — including the seeds
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese — crumbled and
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro sprigs
SOUTHWEST CHILE AND TEQUILA GLAZE
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes — seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white or red wine
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Ask the butcher to cut the ribs across the bone, into 2-inch-wide strips.
- Remove the membrane from the underside of the ribs.
- Then cut the strips into 6-inch lengths.
- To make the glaze, combine all the glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir well.
- To braise the ribs, place a heavy stewpot over medium heat.
- Add the cooking oil.
- When the oil gives off little wisps of smoke, add the ribs.
- Fry the ribs until they are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Tip out and discard the oil.
- Add the garlic and chiles to the pot holding the ribs.
- Stir with the ribs over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Then add the glaze.
- Bring to a low boil, cover the pot, and decrease the heat to low so the glaze is at a simmer.
- Cook the ribs until the meat is tender about 1 hour.
- About every 15 minutes during cooking, stir the ribs.
- Temporarily remove the ribs from the pot and, using strips of paper towels, lift off all oil that is floating on the surface of the glaze.
- Return the ribs to the pot and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, to heat through.
- If you do not plan to serve the ribs within the hour they may be refrigerated in the sauce up to 24 hours before returning the ribs to a simmer.
- Mix the cornstarch with an equal amount of cold water.
- Stir in just enough of the cornstarch mixture to lightly thicken the sauce.
- You can keep the ribs warm for up to 1 hour on lowest heat, before serving.
- When serving, sprinkle the goat cheese and cilantro over the ribs.
Popular Barbecue Recipes
Full List of Barbecue Recipes
Popular Dairy Recipes
Full List of Dairy Recipes