Recipe Category: Cookie
Serving Size : 36
- 2 cups all-purpose flour – more if needed
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup amaretto – or nocello
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup blanched almonds – whole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; lightly grease 2 cookie sheets with softened butter and dust with flour, shaking off the excess.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds, sugar, eggs, rum, liqueur, vanilla extract, cinnamon and baking powder; beat with a heavy wooden spoon until well blended.
- Stir in the walnuts and whole almonds.
- The dough should be soft and a bit sticky, but it should hold its shape when picked up.
- If it is too runny, add more flour.
- With your hands, scoop up half of the dough; shape into a long cylinder, about the length of a roll of paper towel.
- Place on the cookie sheet so that it does not touch the edge of the pan.
- Repeat with the second half of the dough.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until golden brown and firm.
- They will spread during baking.
- Remove the cookie sheets from the oven to a wire rack; let stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Carefully loosen the cylinders from the cookie sheets, using metal spatulas.
- Let stand on a cutting board until almost at room temperature.
- With a serrated bread knife, cut each of the cylinders into crosswise slices about 1-inch thick.
- Place the sliced, a cut side up, on the cookie sheets.
- Return the cookie sheets to the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes to let the cookies out and turn slightly golden.
- Cool completely before storing.
Popular Cookie Recipes
Full List of Cookie Recipes
Popular Baking Recipes
Full List of Baking Recipes