Remember grannies recipes? If she made Spiced Crusted Tofu Cutlets, the recipe didn’t come from some new idea made up for online ratings. Some of these recipes have been in my family for generations. My gran was born 1896. If you like Easy food then we have plenty of recipes including more crusted tofu / spiced recipes.
Sorry for the lack of pictures for this Spiced Crusted Tofu Cutlets – coming asap.
Spiced Crusted Tofu Cutlets Ingredients
makes 4 cutlets
this recipe is vegan.
1 pound very firm tofu, cut into 4 slices, each about ¾-inch thick
za-atar spice mix
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¾ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Easy Spiced Crusted Tofu Cutlets
1. Put A Medium-Large Pot Of Water To Boil Over High Heat, And Place A Colander In The Sink. When The Water Boils, Turn The Heat To Low And Add The 4 Slices Of Tofu. Simmer For 10 Minutes. Then Gently Slip The Tofu Into The Colander To Drain, Being Careful Not To Break The Slices.
2. Meanwhile, Combine The Spice Mix Ingredients In A Small Bowl. Pour The Mix Into A Pie Pan And Spread It Out.
3. Turn On The Stove Fan And/Or Open The Kitchen Window (This Process Can Create A Fair Amount Of Smoke). Place A Large (10-To 12-Inch) Heavy Skillet Over Medium Heat And Wait For About A Minute.
4. While The Pan Is Heating, Carefully Place One Of The Tofu Slices In The Spice Mix, Patting It Down To Coat One Side; Then Sprinkle The Mix On Top And Pat It On With Your Fingers To Coat The Surface Evenly. Transfer The Slice To A Plate And Repeat With The Other 3 Slices. Some Of The Coating May Fall Off; Try To Sprinkle As Much Of It As You Can Back Onto The Tofu, Using Up All Of The Mixture.
5. Gently Transfer The Tofu Slices To The Hot Pan, And Let Them Cook, Undisturbed, For About 2 Minutes, Or Until They Are Golden Underneath.
6. Use A Thin-Bladed Metal Spatula To Carefully Loosen Each Cutlet And Gently Flip It Over. Cook On The Second Side For 2 Minutes, Or Until The Undersides Are Nicely Browned. (If Some Of The Spice Mix Falls Off, Scoop It Up With The Spatula And Put It Back On. Most Of It Will Stick. You Can Also Push Some Of The Fallen Spice Mix Onto The Sides Of The Tofu Slices.)
7. Transfer The Cooked Cutlets To Serving Plates, And Serve Right Away.
More Seafood Recipes with keyword crusted-tofu
- Easy Spiced Crusted Tofu Cutlets Recipe
Ingredients: makes 4 cutlets, this recipe is vegan., 1 pound very firm tofu, cut into 4 slices, each about ¾-inch thick, za-atar spice mix, 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, ¾ teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes METHOD: 1. Put A Medium-Large Pot Of Water To Boil