Recipe Category: Low-Fat
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, caraway seeds, baking soda and salt.
- In a glass measuring cup, combine buttermilk, honey, oil and orange zest.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined.
- Dough will be sticky.
- On a floured surface, knead dough 8 to 10 times.
- Gently pat into a 3/4-inch- thick circle.
- With a 3-inch cutter, cut out biscuits and place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Press dough scraps together and repeat to make 12 biscuits.
- Dip a sharp knife in flour and cut a crisscross on the top of each biscuit.
- Bake biscuits for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Leftover biscuits may be split and toasted.
MAKES 1 DOZEN BISCUITS.
- Calories per biscuit; 5 grams protein; 3 grams fat 0 gram saturated fat; 29 grams carbohydrate; 350 mg sodium; 1 mg cholesterol; 2 grams fiber
Popular Low-Fat Recipes
Full List of Low-Fat Recipes
Popular Oven Recipes
Full List of Oven Recipes