Recipe Category: Low-Fat
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 Dash ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup shredded lowfat Cheddar cheese, (4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Make a 4-inch band of triple-thickness aluminum foil 2 inches longer than circumference of 4-cup souffle dish or 1-quart casserole.
- Secure foil band around dish.
- Spray inside of dish and foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat margarine in 2-quart saucepan over low heat.
- Cook garlic in margarine about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until garlic begins to turn golden.
- Stir in flour, mustard, salt and red pepper until margarine is absorbed; remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in cheeses until Cheddar cheese is melted; remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks in small bowl until thick and lemon colored.
- Gradually stir one-fourth of the hot cheese mixture into egg yolks; stir into remaining cheese mixture in saucepan.
- Beat 4 egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl on high speed until stiff but not dry.
- Stir about one-fourth of the egg white mixture into cheese mixture.
- Fold cheese mixture into remaining egg white mixture.
- Carefully pour into souffle dish.
- Bake uncovered 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean.
- Carefully remove foil band.
- Serve immediately.
Popular Low-Fat Recipes
Full List of Low-Fat Recipes
Popular Oven Recipes
Full List of Oven Recipes