Recipe Category: Low-Fat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cups unsifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Set a rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Preheat to 350°F.
- Lightly oil 2 baking sheets or coat them with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute, and pour into a mixing bowl Add sugar and oil; beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Mix in egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Sift the flours, baking powder and salt together into the sugar/egg mixture; mix on low speed until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half and press each piece into a disk.
- The recipe can be made ahead to this point.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Return to room temperature before rolling out.
- Working with one disk at a time, roll dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch.
- Cut out cookies with small (about 2- to 2 1/2-inch) cookie cutters.
- Place the cookies about 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the upper third of the oven, 1 sheet at a time, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until slightly golden on the edges.
- Do not overbake.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
- Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
- Calories per cookie: 1 gram protein, 2 grams fat 0 gram saturated fat, 8 grams carbohydrate; 40 mg sodium; 9 mg cholesterol; 1 gram fiber
Popular Low-Fat Recipes
Full List of Low-Fat Recipes
Popular Oven Recipes
Full List of Oven Recipes