Recipe Category: Asian
- 2 sides pork baby back ribs or your favorite type of ribs
- 1/4 cup chipotle chiles in adobo sauce — minced
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 cup plum sauce
- 1/3 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons flavorless cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 6 cloves garlic — finely minced
- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced orange zest
- Place the ribs, meaty side down, on a flat surface.
- Using your fingernail, loosen a little of the membrane along the end of the last rib bone.
- Then, grasp the membrane firmly with a paper towel (so that the membrane doesn’t slip from your grip).
- Holding the ribs down with the other hand, pull the membrane away.
- If it doesn’t pull away in one piece, dislodge any remaining membrane, grip it with a paper towel, and pull the membrane away.
- Then place the ribs in a rectangular dish or baking pan.
- To make the marinade, combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl, Makes 3 1/2 cups.
- Coat the ribs evenly on both sides with the marinade.
- Marinate the ribs, refrigerated, for at least 15 minutes.
- For more flavor; marinate for up to 8 hours.
- If using a gas barbecue, preheat it to medium (325F).
- If using charcoal or wood, prepare a fire.
- When the coals or wood are ash covered, push them to the outside of the grill.
- Place a pan of water in the bottom of the grill among the coals, and cover the coals with the cooking grate.
- Place a rib rack on the cooking grate and add the ribs.
- Alternatively, brush the cooking grate with a flavorless cooking oil, such as safflower oil, and then lay the ribs meaty side up in the center of the grill.
- Cover the grill.
- Regulate the heat so it remains at a medium temperature.
- Occasionally during cooking, baste the ribs with extra marinade.
- Grill the ribs until the meat begins to shrink from the ends of the rib bones.
Approximate Grilling Times.pork baby back ribs and country-style spareribs, 75 minutes; spareribs and beef ribs, 90 minutes; lamb ribs, 40 minutes.
- Occasionally during cooking, baste the ribs with extra marinade, stopping the basting process 15 minutes before the ribs are removed from the grill.
- To serve, cut each side of ribs in half, into 3 sections, or into individual ribs.
- Transfer to a heated serving platter or 4 heated dinner plates and serve at once.
Popular Asian Recipes
Full List of Asian Recipes
Popular Pork Recipes
Full List of Pork Recipes