Recipe Category: Asian
- 4 pounds spareribs (about 2 sides) or your favorite ribs
- 10 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup flavorless cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion — peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or Chinese rice wine
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian chile sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ask the butcher to cut the ribs across the bone into 2-inch-wide strips.
- Remove the membrane from the underside of the ribs.
- Then cut the strips into 6-inch lengths.
- Soak the mushrooms in hot water until they are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Then discard the stems and cut the mushrooms into 1/3-inch-thick slices.
- To make the sauce, combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir well.
- To braise the ribs, place a heavy stewpot over medium heat.
- Add the cooking oil.
- When the oil gives off little wisps of smoke, add the ribs.
- Fry the ribs until they are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Tip out and discard the oil.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, and sauce to the pot holding the ribs.
- Bring to a low boil, cover the pot, and decrease the heat to low, so the sauce is at a simmer.
- Cook the ribs until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- About every 15 minutes during cooking, stir the ribs, Temporarily remove the ribs from the pot and, using strips of paper towels, lift off all oil that is floating on the surface of the sauce.
- Return the ribs to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- If you do not plan to serve the ribs within the hour; they may be refrigerated in the sauce up to 24 hours before returning them to a simmer.
- Mix the cornstarch with an equal amount of cold water Stir just enough of the cornstarch mixture in with the ribs to lightly thicken the sauce.
- You can keep the ribs warm for up to 1 hour on lowest heat, before serving.
Popular Asian Recipes
Full List of Asian Recipes
Popular Chinese Recipes
Full List of Chinese Recipes