Recipe Category: Barbecue
- 2 sides spareribs or your favorite ribs
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 head garlic
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced lemon zest
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup pitted kamalata olives — minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place the ribs, meaty side down, on a flat surface.
- Using your fingernail, loosen a little of the membrane along the end of the last rib bone.
- Then, grasp the membrane firmly with a paper towel (so that the membrane doesn’t slip from your grip).
- Holding the ribs down with the other hand, pull the membrane away.
- If it doesn’t pull away in one piece, dislodge any remaining membrane, grip it with a paper towel, and pull the membrane away, Then place the ribs in a rectangular dish or baking pan.
- To make the marinade, preheat the oven to 4OO degrees F.
- Trim the top of the head of garlic, exposing the tips of the cloves, and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the head of garlic.
- Wrap it in foil, and bake it for 1 hour.
- Then squeeze the garlic from the cloves and mash it with a fork.
- In a bowl, combine the garlic and all the remaining marinade ingredients.
- Stir well.
Makes 1 cup.
- Coat the ribs evenly on both sides with the marinade.
- Marinate the ribs, refrigerated, for at least 15 minutes.
- For more flavor marinate for up to 8 hours.
- If using a gas barbecue, preheat it to medium (325F).
- If using charcoal or wood, prepare a fire.
- When the coals or wood are ash covered, push them to the outside of the grill.
- Place a pan of water in the bottom of the grill among the coals, and cover the coals with the cooking grate.
- Place a rib rack on the cooking grate and add the ribs.
- Alternatively, brush the cooking grate with a flavorless cooking oil, such as safflower oil, and then lay the ribs meaty side up in the center of the grill.
- Cover the grill.
- Regulate the heat so it remains at a medium temperature.
- Occasionally during cooking, baste the ribs with extra marinade.
- Grill the ribs until the meat begins to shrink from the ends of the rib bones.
Approximate Grilling Times.pork baby back ribs and country-style spareribs, 75 minutes; spareribs and beef ribs, 90 minutes; lamb ribs, 40 minutes.
- Occasionally during cooking, baste the ribs with extra marinade, stopping 15 minutes before removing the ribs from the grill.
- To serve, cut each side of ribs in half, into 3 sections, or into individual ribs.
- Transfer to a heated serving platter or 4 heated dinner plates.
- Sprinkle the ribs with the orange and lemon zest and serve at once.
Popular Barbecue Recipes
Full List of Barbecue Recipes
Popular Oven Recipes
Full List of Oven Recipes