Recipe Category: Rice
SERVES 4 to 6 – Cooker: 5- to 7-quart – Time: 7 minutes at HIGH pressure
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups Arborio or Vialone Nano medium-grain rice
- grated zest of 1 orange.
- 2 tart large apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice or apple cider
- 3 cups whole milk (can be part half-and-half)
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- plain Greek yogurt, for serving.
- milk or half-and-half, for serving.
- slivered almonds, for serving.
- In a 5- to 7-quart pressure cooker or 2½-quart skillet pressure cooker over medium heat, melt the butter
- Add the rice and stir for 1 minute to evenly coat the grains
- Add the orange zest, apples, cinnamon, apple juice, and milk
- Bring to a boil and stir
- Close and lock the lid
- Place a heat diffuser on the burner and the pressure cooker on the diffuser
- Set the burner heat to high
- When the cooker reaches HIGH pressure, reduce the burner heat as low as you can and still maintain HIGH pressure
- Set a timer to cook for 7 minutes at HIGH pressure
- Remove the pot from the heat
- Open the cooker with the Natural Release method; let stand for 7 minutes
- At time, if the pressure is not all released, open the valve and use Quick Release
- Stir in the cranberries, which will plump in the hot cereal
- Serve in bowls with a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt and sprinkled with slivered almonds, if desired
- If you like your cereal soupy, pour over some milk or half-and-half at eating time