Recipe Category: Chicken
- nonstick spray coating
- 3/4 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 7 1/2 ounces tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried italian seasoning, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoons sugar
- 3 medium chicken breasts, skinned, boned, and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, optional
- For sauce, spray a cold large saucepan with nonstick coating.
- Add celery, mushrooms, carrot, onion, and garlic; cook till vegetables are tender.
- Cut up tomatoes.
- Stir undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and sugar into vegetables.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or till mixture is reduced to 2 cups.
- Meanwhile, place each chicken piece between two pieces of plastic wrap.
- Pound with a meat mallet to about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Stir together ricotta cheese, Parmesan, and parsley in a bowl.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture onto each chicken piece.
- Fold in long sides of chicken pieces; roll up from short end.
- Place chicken rolls, seam side down, in a 2-quart square baking dish.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Cover with plastic wrap, then foil, and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- Before serving, remove plastic wrap.
- Bake, covered with foil, in a 375°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or till chicken is no longer pink.
- If desired, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake 4 minutes longer to melt cheese.
- If desired, serve with hot cooked spinach fettuccine.
- Makes 6 servings.
- Nutrition facts per serving: 262 cal , 8 g total fat 2 g sat fat, 51 mg cholesterol, 327 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate , 8 g dietary fiber, 21 g pro
- Daily Value: 12% vitamin.
A, 64% vitamin.
C, 14% iron.
- Food exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 bread, 2 1/2 meat, 1/2 fat.