Recipe Category: Chicken
- 6 ounces dried fettuccine, preferably spinach
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 leeks, white parts only, washed and finely chopped , 1 1/2 cups
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, defatted
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- fresh lemon juice, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly oil a 3-quart baking dish or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Cook fettuccine in boiling salted water until al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add leeks and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon rosemary; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and milk; bring to a boil, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in chicken.
- Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Gently mix reserved fettuccine into chicken mixture and spoon into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, parsley and remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle mixture over the casserole.
- The casserole will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Bake casserole for 20 to 30 minutes, or until bubbling.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
MAKES 6 SERVINGS.
- Calories per serving; 28 grams protein; 7 grams fat 2 grams saturated fat; 39 grams carbohydrate; 510 mg sodium; 57 mg cholesterol; 2 grams fiber