Recipe Category: Asian
- 4 pounds pork baby back ribs (about 2 sides) or your favorite ribs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup andouille sausage — chopped
- 1 yellow onion — chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
SPICEY NEW ORLEANS-STYLE SAUCE
- 6 cloves garlic — finely minced
- zest from 1 lemon — grated.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 green bell pepper — seeded and chopped
- 2 cups seeded and chopped vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian chile sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Ask the butcher to cut the ribs across the bone into 2-inch-wide strips.
- Remove the membrane from the underside of the ribs.
- Then cut each strip into 6-inch lengths.
- To make the sauce, combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir well.
- To braise the ribs, place a heavy stewpot over medium beat.
- Add the cooking oil.
- When the oil give off little wisps of smoke, add the ribs.
- Fry the ribs until they are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the ribs temporarily.
- Add the sausage and onion to the pot.
- Cook until the onions brown.
- Then return the ribs, and add the sauce.
- Bring to a low boil, cover the pot, and decrease the heat to low so the sauce is at a simmer.
- Cook the ribs until the meat is tender; about 1 hour.
- About every 15 minutes during cooking, stir the ribs.
- Temporarily remove the ribs from the pot and, using strips of paper towels, lift off all oil that is floating on the surface of the sauce.
- Strain the sauce through a sieve, and then return the sauce and ribs to the pot and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, to heat through.
- If you do not plan to serve the ribs within the hour; they maybe refrigerated in the sauce up to 24 hours before returning them to a simmer.
- Transfer the ribs to a serving dish.
- Bring the sauce to a vigorous boil, and boil the sauce over high heat until it thickens enough to lightly coat a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon the sauce over the ribs.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Full List of Asian Recipes
Full List of Ribs Recipes