From our Popular Recipe results for Round Steak
Smothered Round Steak Recipe – Category: Beef
Serving Size : 4
- 2 pounds round steak
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- all-purpose flour (dredging)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- Season the roast with one half of the salt and peppers.
- Dust with flour on all sides.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or other large heavy pot over medium-high heat, add the steak, and brown well on all sides.
- Remove the meat and pour off all but 1 teaspoon of the oil.
- Add half the onions, bell peppers, celery, and the other half of the seasonings, and the stock or water.
- Stir well and reduce the heat to the lowest possible point.
- Return the roast to the pot and cover with the remaining vegetables.
- Cover and let cook until the meat is very tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Serve the meat in slices, with rice alongside and the gravy over all.
- When you try this recipe with other kinds of meat, be sure to adjust the cooking times accordingly-let tenderness be your guide.
- For extra flavorful roasts, try larding with slivers of garlic before smothering.