Recipe Category: Vegetarian
- 4-6 portions cooked rice
- dairy or soya natural yoghurt, to serve
For the curry sauce:
- 175g/6oz green lentils
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 red and 1 green pepper, stalk and seeds removed, and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 x 400g/14oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato pur?e
- 300ml/1/2 pint vegetable stock (make with a stock cube or bouillon powder)
- 100g/4oz frozen peas
- 3 tbsp vegetarian pesto
- 175g/6oz mushrooms, wiped and quartered
- 1 courgette, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the green lentils in a large bowl and pour boiling water over them.
- Leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Alternatively, buy a tin of pre soaked lentils.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic together with the curry powder, until the onions are softening.
- Add the peppers, carrots and drained green lentils and cook for 5 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the tomatoes, pur?e, stock, peas and pesto, bring to the boil and simmer until the lentils are tender about 30.