This pose is one of the steps in the group of 12 yoga poses in Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation). Chaturanga strengthens and tones the wrists, arms, abdominal muscles, and lower back. It prepares the body for more challenging arm balances. Similar to a traditional push-up, it also strengthens the muscles surrounding the spine, which helps to improve posture.
Sanskrit: Chaturanga Dandasana
- Start in plank position with the arms and legs very straight.
- Feet are hip-distance apart and shoulders are over your wrists.
- Heels press back while the crown of the head reaches forward.
- You should be able to draw a straight line from your heels to the crown of your head.
- The legs are firm and the core is engaged allowing you to maintain a straight body throughout the pose.
Calories Burned in 15 minutes
Calories Burned in 40 minutes
Calories Burned in 45 minutes
Calories Burned in 1 hour 15 mins
Calories Burned in 1 hour 30 mins
Calories Burned in 2 hours