From our Popular Recipe results for Cooking With Fennel
Low Fat Asparagus and Fennel Salad
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- 3 cups torn boston or bibb lettuce
- 1 1/3 cup fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch, pieces
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, oil-free herb dressing,
- 1 tablespoon powdered fruit pectin
- 3/4 teaspoons snipped fresh herbs, or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano , basil, thyme or savory,, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove
- Clean fennel.
- Trim off feathery leaves; chop 1/4 cup leaves and set aside.
- Discard stalks and core.
- Cut fennel bulb into thin strips.
- Combine fennel strips, reserved fennel leaves, lettuce, asparagus, and mushrooms in a large bowl.
- If desired, cover and chill lettuce mixture till serving time.
- To serve, drizzle dressing over salad mixture; toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes 4 servings.
- Oil-Free Herb Dressing: Stir together 1 tablespoon powdered fruit pectin; 3/4 teaspoon snipped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, basil, rhyme, or savory, crushed; 1/2 teaspoon sugar; 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard; and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 1 small clove garlic, minced.
- Beat till mixed.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- Makes about 1/3 cup.
- Nutrition facts per serving: 39 cal , 1 g total fat 0 g sat fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 24 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate , 1 g dietary fiber, 3 g pro
- Daily Value: 33% vitamin.
- Food exchanges: 1 vegetable.