Recipe Category: Rice
- Serving Size : 1
- 1 Fat-free broth or water (replaces the 1-2 tbsps. oil to saute with)
- 3/4 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 onion – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – minced or put through a press
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder – (2 to 3) to taste
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 Fat-free vegetable cubes
- 1 salt to taste
- 1/2 cup raisins or currants
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (use less or omit to lower fat)
- 1 large , tart apple – or
- 2 medium – diced
- 1 cup plain/low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup raisins or chutney
- Heat the Fat-free broth/water in a heavy-bottomed soup pot, 2-quart saucepan, or Dutch oven and saute the onion with 1 clove of the garlic until it begins to turn translucent.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, and curry powder and saute for a few minutes longer.
- Add more broth/water, if necessary, and the rice, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, water, bouillon cubes, remaining garlic, raisins, and sunflower seeds and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 mins.
- Add the apples and simmer, covered, for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Serve topped with yogurt and the additional raisins.